Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Reading time

The most exciting part of my day is when mom or dad read to me.

I like board books that have large, bright and colorful pictures, from which my parents read or just narrate. I already have a list of my favorite books: Snow White and the seven dwarfs, The wolf and the seven goats … And no, I don’t have anything against other numbers beside 7!

Ironically enough, I somehow cannot get used yet to the story of Mogly and the Jungle book, though my mom and dad really believed that this would be the right story for me! But I will give a second chance to the story. Maybe the book is just not colorful enough for my age.

I sometimes also hear them reading to me some strange things I don’t understand. It must be something which is written for adult ears and not for babies my age. I remember my mom reading me loud some strange things about yields, stocks, values and annuities while she was studying for her final exams, and my dad reading to my mom some illiterate and bizarre stories written by his students, on which they both laughed very loud!

At the end, reading to me, even at this young age, will pay off. Hearing my parents read helps me develop an ear for the cadence of language. And varying the pitch of their voices, using accents, and singing makes the connection between us much more interesting.

No comments: