Thursday, February 19, 2009

38 weeks down, 2 to go! Or less…

This is day number 268 and I am 38 weeks! I have 12 days or less than 2 weeks left, and I am 95.7% of the way there. Although I am full term already, my mom’s doctor believes that I will probably not be born before the due date, which is March 4.

I am now really plumped up. I weigh over 3 kilos now and I am over 50 cm long. I have a firm grasp, which my parents will soon be able to test when they hold my hand for the first time! My organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.

Wondering what color my eyes will be? Well, you may not be able to tell right away. If I am born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If I am born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time I am 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after she's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.

For my mom it is getting harder and harder to carry her heavy stomach, it's getting even harder to breath while she talks, cause her stomach is pushing her lungs up. She also has a trouble sleeping: sometimes she wakes up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep till the morning. During these night hours, I am keeping her awake and amused with my active stretching, kicking and dancing, and most of all – moving down and getting ready to come out. But she says she generally feels fine – she is still active, going to work every day and trying to walk as much as she can… or as much as I let her to.

For my mom and dad, the next days and weeks are a waiting game. They are using the time to prepare my nursery or to take care of necessary tasks they may not get around to for a while after I am born. My dad made new furniture for me in the bedroom, as well as in the rest of the home. Tomorrow they will take me to pick up a bed for me, and a stroller....which is not an easy task at all!

We are all a bit excited as the day is near...

No comments: