Monday, May 11, 2009

My second mini birthday

Today I am 2 months old! I am getting stronger, my cheeks are getting bigger. My cramps are slowly going away, I sleep better, I cry less and I laugh more!

Now I can tell the difference between familiar voices and other sounds, and I am becoming a better listener. I can also show that I am in tune with my environment – see how I look to see where certain noises are coming from? An ongoing conversation (although seemingly one-sided) helps me develop my sense of place. I even watch people’s mouths as they talk, fascinated by how it all works. I can now better communicate with a growing repertory of coos (musical, vowel-like sounds), smiles, and unique cries to express his different needs.

At this point, I begin to move beyond my early preferences for bright or two-toned objects toward more detailed and complicated designs, colors, and shapes. I see and even try to touch colorful objects: my fish Nemo, Memo, Xhemo, Dimo and Shlomo… Urmo the Clown, my mom’s finger, the stars from my play mat, the singing moon above my bed... My hands are mostly open now and ready to reach out to the world!

In the early days of my life, grabbing was mostly automatic and instinctual and I couldn't let go if I wanted to. Although I can't really grab objects just yet, I can hold things placed in my hands. And, once I wrap my hands around something, I might not let go so easily.

I sleep well through the night (five or six hours at a stretch), and I make my parents are one of the lucky few! During the day, I stay awake for longer intervals instead of cycling back and forth so much. I have two to four long sleep periods and as many as ten hours of awake time in 24 hours.

The weather is beautiful these days, so I go out almost every day! I enjoy the sun and the trees outside, the colorful object, the people around me, and even the loud rock’n’roll music can’t change my mind or my sleeping/eating routine!

No comments: