Thursday, July 17, 2008

Today is day 51!

This is day number 51 and I am 7 weeks “old”!

The big news this week is that my hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs — although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny. Technically I am still considered an embryo and have something of a small tail, which is an extension of her tailbone. The tail will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. I have doubled in size since last week and now I am about the size of a blueberry.

If you could see inside the womb, you'd spot eyelid folds partially covering her peepers, which already have some color, as well as the tip of his/her nose and tiny veins beneath parchment-thin skin.

Both hemispheres of my brain are growing, and my liver is churning out red blood cells until my bone marrow forms and takes over this role. I also have an appendix and a pancreas, which will eventually produce the hormone insulin to aid in digestion. A loop in my growing intestines is bulging into my umbilical cord, which now has distinct blood vessels to carry oxygen and nutrients to and from my tiny body.I have 229 days or 33 weeks left, and I am 18.2% of the way there.

No comments: